Are you considering adopting a new pet? Are you interested in fostering homeless pets before they can be placed with their forever family? Would you like to volunteer in a variety of capacities for shelters around the region? Access resources and information through our Project Paws shelter partners below.

I Lost a Pet

If you have lost an animal, please try not to worry.  Relax and follow these steps.

As soon as possible, visit the local shelters in your area or visit their web site, where many shelters have a section dedicated to found pets

Bring a photo if you have one

Call your veterinarian and/or the microchip company right away to make sure the microchip’s contact information is up-to-date

I Found a Pet

The animal you found may have a Microchip. Microchips cannot be seen or felt. Take the animal to a veterinary hospital or shelter to get it scanned. 

What to Consider Before Adopting a Pet

Falling in love with a pet is easy.  Sharing your home with a four-legged friend can be one of life's greatest joys.  Adopting a pet, though, is a big decision.  Dogs and cats require lots of time, money, and commitment—more than 15 years' worth in many cases.  Pet ownership can be rewarding, but only if you think through your decision before you adopt a companion. Check out this list from Homeward Pet Adoption Center of important questions to ask yourself before you adopt. 

Pet Licensing – King County

King County pet licenses are required for all dogs and cats 8 weeks of age or older in all unincorporated King County and the following cities: Auburn (in city limits), Beaux Arts, Bellevue, Black Diamond, Carnation, Clyde Hill, Covington, Duvall, Enumclaw, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kent, Kirkland, Lake Forest Park, Maple Valley, Mercer Island (dog licenses only), Newcastle, North Bend, Redmond, Sammamish, SeaTac, Shoreline, Snoqualmie, Tukwila, Woodinville and Yarrow Point. Learn more here from Regional Animal Services King County.

Pet Behavior Consultations

If you have a question or concern about your pet’s behavior, Homeward Pet Adoption Center offers FREE pet behavior consultations with Jenny Black, Homeward Pet’s Behavior Manager. 

 Jenny is a Certified Behavior Consultant (CBCC-KA) with more than 300+ hours of consultations and experience using positive, force-free training methods to solve behavior issues in the home and in a shelter environment, including house-training, multi-pet management, new pet introductions, socialization, interactions with children or new people, fear-based aggression, prey drive, reactivity (to people, cars, bikes, other animals, etc.), basic manners, and more.  

All consultations are free of charge and will be provided via email and/or phone. Major concerns that may require more intensive, in-home behavior modification may need to be referred to a private trainer, but recommendations will be provided after the initial consultation.  

Contact Jenny at or by calling 425-488-4444, ext. 4017. Please allow up to 72 hours after your initial contact for a response.

We Love Our Pets License Plates

The next time your vehicle registration comes due, consider a "We Love Our Pets" license plate. $28 dollars of each plate sold goes towards supporting low income spay/neuter programs at The NOAH Center and other organizations throughout Washington State. Learn More

Mobile Spay Neuter Services

Regional Animal Services of King County (RASKC) has teamed up with Northwest Spay & Neuter Center (NWSNC) and Pasado’s Safe Haven to offer more low-cost animal spay and neuter surgeries for King County resident pet parents. RASKC will host both shuttle programs at the pet adoption center in Kent.  

Financial assistance may be available to residents who qualify. Microchips, parasite control, and vaccinations will also be available at the time of surgery for an additional fee.  

For more information about the spay/neuter shuttle programs, or to set up an appointment, visit:

Found a Wild Animal or have a Wildlife Problem?

If you found an adult wild animal, you think may be injured or sick:

Call PAWS Wildlife Center at 425.412.4040. A trained staff member will help you determine if the animal needs help and guide you through what to do next.

If you reside outside of Washington State, contact a licensed rehabilitator in your state (see below).

Ask your local animal control if they will transport a wild animal to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. View a list of animal control contacts in Western Washington.

If you have a wildlife problem:   

Check out PAWS’ fact sheets on different wild birds and wild mammals who are most commonly involved in conflicts. The fact sheets provide information about the animals’ natural behavior, and how to avoid or address common conflicts with them.


PAWS also has information on conflicts between pets and wildlife and effective solutions. Don’t forget these wildlife dos and don'ts for quick tips on living in harmony with your wild neighbors.